If people with dementia shared their thoughts and feelings with us, these 10 things might be some of the many things they’d point out.
From Esther Heerema, MSW, Alzheimer’s/Dementia Expert at About.com
- They are not guilty of their condition!
- They deserve a little respect
- They don’t need you to speak very loudly or too slowly
- Boredom’s not a burden they should bear
- They are scared and need reassurance
- They might forget your name but not not your importance to them
- Their nonverbal perception remains intact longer
- Their behavior means something for them, however difficult it might look